Jana here with a delicious dessert that is perfect for this time of year! Blueberries are in season in most areas, and are bursting with flavor! I made this coffee cake to celebrate my husband and mine's upcoming wedding anniversary! As the name suggests, it is wonderful with a cup of coffee. It is also very good served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! I found the recipe on The Joy of Baking's site.
Blueberry Coffee Cake
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter (room temperature)
1/2 cup white sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup milk
2 cups fresh blueberries
1. Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. Butter or spray with non-stick cooking spray an 8x8 glass baking dish.
2. For the topping: In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Add the butter pieces, using a pastry blender or fork to combine until it looks like coarse crumbs.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. (for the cake batter)
4. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter until smooth. Add the sugar, and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla, and mix until well combined.
5. Add the milk and flour mixture slowly, alternating items. Mix only until combined.
6. Spread the batter onto the bottom of the 8x8 pan, smoothing the top with a spatula.
7. Add the blueberries on top of the batter, making sure to spread evenly.
8. Sprinkle the streusel topping on top.
9. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until it passes the toothpick test!