Tuesday, December 20, 2011

DIY Mocha Mix


Becca here with Tuesday's 'better late than never' post!  Between a migraine making me sick, a visit to the nursing home, chiropractor's office, and a couple of extra kids the past few days, I'm running a bit behind today.  I think you're in for a real treat though with today's recipe.  While I wouldn't exactly call this a healthy food, it is far healthier than the Starbucks and McDonalds drinks it is similiar to, not to mention far less in cost, and I think it tastes every bit as good, or even better!  I think it would make a great last-minute gift packaged up in a cute jar with ribbon, or in cellophane bags with a cute paper stapled on as a topper.  This year we also made a few batches of my Roasted Sugared Almonds and packaged them up with a cute ornament tied onto them for Sunday School teachers, Mail Ladies, UPS Guys, etc. I'll give you the recipe for the dry mix first, and then instructions for making it both as an iced drink, or a hot beverage.

Iced Mocha Mix

1/2 cup instant coffee granules (decaf may be used if you prefer)
1 cup sugar
1 cup dry milk powder (nonfat is fine)
1 cup powdered creamer (nonfat or sugar-free is fine if you prefer, as is flavored)
1/2 cup baking cocoa (I use dark chocolate)
1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine all ingredients in an airtight container.  May be stored for up to a year.

For an iced drink (similiar to a Frappuccino or Mocha Frappe)
In a blender combine 1 1/2 cups ice, 1/2 cup milk, and 1/2 cup of dry mocha mix.

For a warm drink, stir 3-5 Tablespoons into a cup of warm water, to taste :) 


Enjoy!!

19 comments:

  1. I am so glad I found your blog! It looks like y'all have a lot of great recipes. I also appreciate what you say about the Proverbs 31 woman.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. found a similar recipe a while ago on www.momswhothink.com and used it to gift for Christmas, it had all different flavors. (it's under homemade Christmas gifts.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much! We'll copy your ideas and make these for Christmas gifts, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad you girls are doing God's will..raising your families yourself, and being a servant..going to try your recipie..thanks to you all! God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is one of my favorite make-at-home coffee drinks! :) Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This mocha mix recipe is exceptionally good! I had creamy chocolate flavored Coffee Mate powdered creamer on hand, so I only added 1/4 cup of baking cocoa. For the sugar, I used 1/2 cup white sugar and 1/4 cup brown sugar. It was plenty sweet due to the flavored creamer. Using dark chocolate baking cocoa sounds like a great suggestion; I think I'll try that with the next batch. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! Do try it with the dark chocolate, I think it adds just a bit 'extra' that makes it even better :) Becca

      Delete
  7. So yummy! Found you on Pinterest! I'll be checking back often for more great posts! Thanks for posting this. I had just found a mix at an Amish bulk store near me, but this is so nice to be able to make myself. Possibly on my list of homemade Christmas gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Has anyone tried adding mini chocolate chips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't, but I'm sure it would be great! Mcdonalds has that frappe now with bits of chocolate in it that I'm sure it would be similiar too :) Let us know if you try it!

      Delete
  9. So I used a box of instant butterscotch pudding instead of the sugar and dulce de leche coffee creamer. I also doubled the powdered milk so I could use it on the go when I don't have milk handy. I used 4 oz baby food jars to make single servings, that when reconstituted with 1 cup of water and a big handful of ice made a perfect iced beverage. Thanks for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just tried this today and it really is good! Very easy to make into a cold drink. It'll last for a long time too which is great. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just found this on Pinterest and I have to tell you it is the best I have tried! I am a woman truck driver and love my iced coffee but it is sooo expensive! Now I take this with me and make my own when I have the craving! Bless you for this! I will definitely let my friends know about this. And yes, the chocolate chips are great in this! I did add a bit more of the powdered milk since I don't have a blender in my truck. I just add it to my bottled water (pour some out before adding the mix to make room), shake it up real good and pour over ice. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly - thanks for letting us know you enjoyed it!! Love your modifications so it works for you on the road! Becca

      Delete
  12. Finally! A mocha mix I like, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. whatelse can i use instead of creamer?

    ReplyDelete