Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Best Homemade Pizza Sauce {freezer friendly, makes 1 gallon}

Becca here with a really yummy pizza sauce recipe.  I have tried lots (LOTS) of different pizza sauce recipes and combinations over the years, and many were fine, but I couldn't ever get it just perfect.  My husband requested a really thick pizza sauce, and we like one with lots of flavor.  I wasn't happy with the way some came out too thin and ended up making the crust soggy.  If you think you have trouble getting a good homemade pizza crust, in my experience, the sauce and baking time, temperature, and method have more to do with it than the actual crust recipe.  But we finally have a winner, one that the whole family loves, and my husband (finally) said is a keeper.  I got the original recipe off of the back of the can of tomato paste, although I did tweak it a bit.  I've also added a splash of balsamic vinegar and a can of diced tomatoes to a couple of cups of the pizza sauce to make a tasty marinara sauce for pasta.  Enjoy!

The Best Homemade Pizza Sauce
*makes 1 gallon

1 huge can tomato paste (111 oz.)
2 quarts water
1 Tablespoon granulated garlic
1 Tablespoon onion powder
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
2 Tablespoons black pepper
2 Tablespoons salt
2 Tablespoons oregano

Combine all ingredients in large stockpot.  Stir well to combine.  Cover, and simmer over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, 20 - 30 minutes.  Use immediately, or let come to room temperature and then freeze in serving size containers.  (I usually freeze in 2 cup portions).

*To make a red sauce for pasta, I just add a can of diced tomatoes & a couple of splashes of balsamic vinegar to 3 cups of pizza sauce.

4 comments:

  1. It says on this recipe tomato paste. Tomato paste in our grocery is so small. Did you mean tomato sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you can get these at restaurant supply stores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do mean tomato paste; a warehouse type store (I go to Sam's Club) will have it, or a restaurant supply store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No. he means tomato paste.

    ReplyDelete