Saturday, January 14, 2017

{Instant Pot} Super Tender, Chuck Roast


Becca here with an easy and pretty foolproof way to make a roast that is incredibly tender.  It literally is falling apart, and can be cut with a spoon!  One of the best parts is that I started with a completely frozen solid chuck roast mid-afternoon, and it was ready and waiting for us at dinner time.  I also like to add my own seasonings, because it is a lot less expensive than the seasoning packets I see a lot of recipes calling for, and also avoids a lot of the yucky additives we try to avoid.  My roast here was from Aldi, I try to go once a month or so to stock-up on some items that I can buy for significantly less there, chuck roast being one of them, at $2.99 a pound.  I use (and love) Walmart Grocery Pickup, and Sam's Club Pickup for most of my main shopping.  We do try to eat organic as much as possible, but grass fed, organic beef is not a good, feasible option for our family.  Let me know how your family liked this recipe!  My husband said that it was "better than candy", and all of my kids ate it well, even the one with some texture/sensory issues that can make meats tricky!

{Instant Pot} Super Tender, Chuck Roast - From Frozen!!!

1 Frozen Chuck Roast, about 3 pounds
1 Tablespoon coconut or olive oil
1 cup water
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons granulated garlic powder
3 teaspoons Pink Himalayan or "Real Salt" Salt

Turn Instant Pot to the Saute setting, and add the Tablespoon of oil.

Add the frozen chuck roast.  Try to get it to rest flat on the bottom.  If it won't, do the best you can.  Mine was at an angle at first, as you can see.  Rotate the roast a few times, until you have as much of it browned as you can get, about 10-15 minutes total saute time.

Pour in the 1 cup of water.

Add the seasonings (black pepper, onion powder, granulated garlic powder, and salt), sprinkling each one evenly onto the top of the roast.

Add the Instant Pot lid (make sure saute is turned off!), and push the meat button, then the + button I'm pointing to in the bottom right photo, until the pressure time reaches 90 minutes. The Instant Pot will automatically switch to the warm setting and keep the roast nice and warm and tender, so it's ready when you are ready to eat!

I have also made gravy using the liquid remaining in the Instant Pot, and it was really flavorful and delicious!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this! I just got home with my new instant pot and immediately went to Pinterest to look for recipes for frozen ground beef! I found yours and I'm using it on a frozen venison roast. Thanks again! πŸ˜ƒπŸ‘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOw did this turn out? I am making one tonight with venison.

      Delete
  2. I just got my instant pot during Amazon's Prime Day and I couldn't wait to make a roast. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never leave a comment on recipes, but this was amazingggg! Wow! I’ve already shared with everyone I can think of with an Instant Pot. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did you make your gravy and could I add potatoes and carrots with the roast?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Should I adjust cook tome if my chuck is only 2lbs?

    ReplyDelete