Monday, September 3, 2012

Baker's Delight: Toddler Sensory Play

 Hi everyone! I am a mom to a busy 14-month old and am always looking for ways to incorporate her curiosity in the kitchen. I look forward to the days she can help me cook or bake.  I don't think it's ever too early to let little ones explore age-appropriate kitchen items. 
For this sensory play I set out oatmeal, flour, coconut, sprinkles, and brown sugar in cupcake liners.  I then placed them on a rimmed cookie sheet, with some measuring spoons my daughter loves. This was a supervised activity and I didn't let her taste anything.  I suppose I could have, but as you'll see below, she got into this so quickly there really wasn't time!
 I placed the filled cookie sheet on the kitchen floor and let her have fun exploring and playing!
 She dumped, mixed, poured, and examined the ingredients.
This made a huge, HAPPY MESS.  To me, a happy mess is when it serves a purpose.  My daughter really enjoyed this activity and I already had the items on hand.  Afterwards I quickly swept up and things were back to "normal" very quickly.
I hope you'll give this a try!
Sara :)

No comments:

Post a Comment