Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Amazing 100% Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Cookies



Becca here with a recipe I'm so excited to share!  I've had many different types of 'healthy' chocolate chip cookies made with whole grains that tasted exactly like they were healthy & made with whole grains, ha!  I'm SO happy to report that these do not.  In fact, my (somewhat particular) husband didn't even realize that they were made with whole grains and was surprised when I told him!  They use spelt, which you can purchase and mill yourself, or buy already ground in flour form.  This is a grain that I have to go to the health food store for or order online, but it is full of fiber and has more protein and nutrients than wheat.  Plus, like I said before, I've never had a whole grain cookie taste this amazing!  They're light in color, and a nice soft and slightly chewy texture.  The cookies will last on the counter in an airtight container for 2-3 days.  I based my recipe on the one on the back of Arrowhead Mills organic spelt.  I hope you'll try this recipe, I'm sure your family will love it!  Plus, if you go ahead and get the spelt now, you'll have it ready to try our favorite whole grain pumpkin muffins that seriously rival any other pumpkin muffin, healthy or not!

Whole Grain Spelt Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cup sugar (I use organic evaporated cane juice, but your favorite kind is fine)
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (I use my homemade real vanilla extract, but your favorite kind is fine)
1 teaspoon baking powder (I recommend aluminum free)
3 1/2 cups spelt flour (purchased flour, or finely ground in your mill)
1 teaspoon salt (I use Real Salt, but any is fine)
1 cup chocolate chips (I prefer mini chips, but any are fine)

Preheat oven to 350. 

In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract.  Blend in flour, baking powder, and salt.  Stir well.  Fold in chocolate chips.  Drop into baking sheet by the teaspoonful and bake for 10-12 minutes until done. 

(Mine were definitely more Tablespoon sized drops of the dough, so I baked them an extra couple of minutes.  They will be starting to lightly turn golden brown around the edges, and not doughy in the middle, but not as browned all over as you may be used to seeing!)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking up your recipe for the Old Fashioned Recipe Exchange, it looks so good! Gotta love "healthy" treats right?

    ReplyDelete