Friday, November 9, 2012

Hearty Chicken Stew with Quinoa and Butternut Squash




Jana here with a really delicious fall and winter stew!  When I first saw this recipe, I was really curious about it!  It sounded like a lot of ingredients that we really like, but was a combination that I wouldn't have come up with on my own.  I decided to venture outside of my 'cooking comfort zone' (something I highly suggest doing sometimes!), and my family and I loved this stew!  It makes approximately 6-8 servings.  My famiily had just enough to eat it two nights, and we have two adults and 2 children that are eating table food currently! :)

Hearty Chicken Stew with Quinoa and Butternut Squash

1 1/2 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped into 1/2 inch cubes (see my tutorial here!)
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried onion
1 teaspoon salt
4 cloves minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1 can diced tomatoes (14 ounces)
2/3 cup uncooked quinoa

1. Steam the butternut squash until barely tender, about 6-8 minutes.  Remove half of the squash cubes, and set aside. Steam the remaining squash for an additional 4-6 minutes, until very tender. Mash this squash with a fork, and set aside.

2. Add olive oil to a large saucepan, and warm to medium heat.  Add onion and cook, until desired softness.  Next, add garlic and cook for another minute.

3. Next, add the tomatoes, butternut squash cubes, and mashed squash.  Stir to combine.

4. Add the chicken broth, quinoa, salt, paprika, oregano, and parsley.  Bring to a simmer.  Cover and cook until the quinoa is translucent, about 15-20 minutes. 

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I made this stew today, added a large green pepper for color and of course the health benefits.
    I have bookmarked your blog on my computer. I think you girls have a real talent for cooking, keep up the good work.
    PS: I'm 63 and there's still room for learning, even from kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind comment! We like to hear from our readers! The green pepper sounds like a great addition to the stew...I'll have to remember that next time!

      Delete