Friday, February 8, 2013
Homemade Whole Wheat Biscuits
Jana here with a delicious Whole Wheat Biscuit recipe! My husband enjoys cooking also, and he makes our family breakfast on Saturdays a lot! (a blessing, I know!) I came in the kitchen one Saturday to see yummy biscuits in the oven! The recipe came from the "Joy of Cooking" cookbook by Irma Rombauer. The biscuits were not dry at all, and definitely very filling.
Whole Wheat Biscuits
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup (5 1/3 tablespoons) butter or shortening
1 cup sour cream or buttermilk
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Whisk together thoroughly in a bowl the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
2. Using a pastry blender (or two knives), cut the butter in until the mixture is the consistency of find crumbs.
3. Stir the sour cream (or buttermilk) in with a fork.
4. Put the dough onto a lightly floured board. Knead gently and quickly, about 8-10 times. Roll out with a lightly floured rolling pin, to between 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick.
5. Cut into circles with a biscuit cutter (or mason jar lid...or any circle shape) that is about 1 1/2 inch size.
6. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned, about 12-15 minutes.