Friday, April 5, 2013

Eggplant Pizza Rounds



Jana here with a delicious and healthier way to get the flavor of pizza for your dinner!  We love pizza, and I think I could eat it at least once or twice a week, but that would be a little overboard, I'm sure!  When I saw this recipe that showed how to use eggplant for the 'crust' of the pizza, I was curious!  I have cooked eggplant before, and have eaten Eggplant Parmesan at restaurants, but still haven't cooked it enough to feel like I knew a whole lot about it.  I have peeled the eggplants before when cooking them, but read that the peel is definitely edible, and highest in nutrition.  I was using two eggplants for this recipe, so I peeled one and left the other as is.  My husband and I preferred the pizza rounds with the peel. We thought it added a lot to the flavor and texture of the dish. My kids really enjoyed this also!  To me, eggplant doesn't have a super strong flavor. It was so yummy with the pizza toppings right on top!

Eggplant Pizza Rounds

1 large eggplant
Olive Oil
Pizza Sauce
Pizza Toppings

1. Slice eggplant into circles, 1/4"- 1/2" thick.  Lay the rounds on a piece of wax paper lined with paper towels.  Pierce both sides with a fork, and sprinkle with salt.  Let sit for 30 minutes to draw out any bitterness and water.

2.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a lined baking sheet, lay out the eggplant rounds, and brush with olive oil. Bake for 10 minutes, then flip. Brush the other side with olive oil, and cook an additional 10 minutes.

3. Remove from the oven, add toppings, and bake for a final 10 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment