Friday, May 16, 2014

The Gravy "Formula"


Jana here with a 'formula' to make perfect, smooth, yummy gravy every time! For some of you, this may be something you've mastered. For others, this information will help you feel confident making a gravy in minutes!  There are so many uses for a gravy, or cream sauce. In the above picture, I had cooked a whole chicken in my slow cooker. I wanted a way to quickly make it different from just seasoning the plain chicken, so I mixed up a quick gravy to stir in. (and also added canned mushrooms)  I also like to make gravy to put on top of burger patties that we eat without bread. Of course, you always need a good gravy to go with mashed potatoes!  Delicious!  This recipe has so many different options for mixing ingredients, that I'm sure you have things on hand to make a quick gravy!

First, you need to start with an oil or butter. I typically prefer butter, but you could use any oil you have on hand as well.  I usually use 2 tablespoons of butter, and melt it over medium heat in a small skillet.

Next, you need an equal amount of flour. You can use any variety (all-purpose, whole wheat, etc). Slowly add in the 2 tablespoons of flour, stirring constantly. (I prefer to stir at this point with a fork or whisk)  Once combined, will have a thick 'paste'.

Last, you need a liquid.  You can use milk, water, chicken/beef broth, etc. I slowly pour in the liquid, stirring constantly, until I am happy with the consistency of the gravy.  I would estimate that you will need around 1 cup of the liquid you are choosing. This will vary, depending on the ingredients you have chosen.

Add salt and pepper to taste, and you have a delicious gravy!  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment