Friday, February 3, 2017

DIY Cajun Seasoning

Jana here with another DIY Seasoning mix! We also have a DIY Taco Seasoning posted here. There are several reasons I like to make these mixes myself, but the main one is convenience. I don't have to think about if I have a seasoning packet on hand when I decide to make something. I can quickly mix together the spices I already have on hand to have the same effect!  (or better)  It's also more cost effective to mix it yourself, and healthier. Many of the seasoning packets you purchase at the store have high sodium, preservatives, and/or MSGs. I wanted to make a chicken and sausage stew recently, and it called for Cajun seasoning. I didn't have any, so I made this modified version of a recipe I found on All Recipes.

Cajun Seasoning

1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper*
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme

Mix all ingredients together, and store in an air tight container.

*This amount of cayenne will make the seasoning mix mildly spicy. If you don't prefer much spice, I would cut this amount in half.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment