Saturday, November 19, 2011

Chicken Enchilada Pasta

Jana here with a recipe that I came across on Pinterest.  When I saw the words, "Chicken Enchilada Pasta", I knew it was something I had to try!  My version was adapted from this blog, and I made a few changes to suit our family's tastes.  We really liked this recipe, and I even told my husband that it might be one of my favorite recipes I've ever made!  (it's THAT good!!)  Make it - you won't be disappointed!! 

Chicken Enchilada Pasta

1 1/2 - 2 Cups Chicken, shredded
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 can diced chiles (4 oz.)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
2 cans green enchilada sauce (10 oz. each)
2/3 cup red enchilada sauce
2 cups shredded cheese
1 cup sour cream
Penne Pasta

1. Cook Chicken, and shred.  
2. Boil pasta according to package directions.
3. Heat olive oil in large skillet, and saute the minced garlic for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add enchilada sauces, cooked chicken, green chiles, cumin, chili powder, and salt.  Let simmer for 8-10 minutes.
5. Add cheese, and stir until cheese is melted throughout.
6. Add sour cream (making sure you have your stove turned on low heat), and stir until thoroughly mixed in.
7. Drain pasta and return to the pot you cooked it in.  Add the chicken and sauce mixture, stirring well.

In case you're interested, here are a few notes to the specific items I used.  I cooked chicken thighs and drumsticks, as I think it shreds the best for recipes like this.  Chicken breast meat may also be used!  I used Colby and Monterey Jack cheese, but I think Cheddar or Pepper Jack would also be good!  We prefer whole wheat pasta, so that's what I used.  I cooked a whole box, not knowing if I would need to use it all or not.  I did use it all, and it was a great amount of pasta versus sauce.  This makes A LOT of pasta, and is very good!  I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment