Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Creamy Avocado Dip

So I (Becca) just had a conversation with our Grandma about whether this is technically guacamole or not, ha!  She said yes, she thought any dip you mash avocados to make was probably okay to be called guacamole, but I tend to think of guacamole having lots of onions, peppers, tomatoes maybe even, spicy and more Latin American tasting, which this is not.  Therefore, I named what is our family's favorite avocado-based chip dip "Creamy Avocado Dip".  Terribly creative, I know.  With only 4 ingredients, you can make a batch up in minutes!  This is one of those things I crave every so often, so when Aldi had avocados for $0.25 last week (!!) I was excited to get a bag full, and we've had this dip several times since.  I think the other ingredients don't entirely mask the avocado flavor, but just enhance it.  I guarantee you'll never go back to the preservative-laden stuff in the tub from the grocery store once you try this!  I would plan on allowing 1/2 of an avocado per person you're serving as an appetizer or side dish portion. 

Creamy Avocado Dip

*Recipe is per avocado so you can easily make whatever size batch you need using those basic multiplication skills you memorized in the 3rd grade & knew you'd need someday!!

1 medium avocado
1 Tablespoon mayonnaise (I always use the Kraft Extra Virgin Olive Oil kind)
1/4 teaspoon lemon or lime juice (I use the premade kind in the green bottle)
scant 1/4 teaspoon salt

Peel* avocado and add to bowl with other ingredients (mayonnaise, lemon juice and salt).  Mash to combine.  I use a potato masher, leaving it slightly chunky, as shown in the photo above, to highlight the freshness of the real avocado.  Enjoy!

*For a super easy way to peel avocados....

No comments:

Post a Comment