Friday, December 9, 2011

Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup

Becca here with another one of my favorite slow cooker soups!  I love this one because while most of the soup cooks all day long, you add a few key ingredients about 30 minutes before serving (I add then when my husband calls & says he's on his way home from work!) so it still tastes super fresh.  You can use your family's favorite kind of tortellini and even try different seasoned canned, diced tomatoes to change the taste up a bit.  Or what about adding Italian Sausage?  The possibilities are endless!  However you choose to make it, I think you'll definitely want to add this soup into your family's winter meal rotation.  I use a slotted spoon to serve my 13 month old's soup so he can enjoy it too.
Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup
6 cups chicken stock
1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes (I prefer petite diced)
1 Tablespoon jarred minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
4 cups fresh baby spinach leaves (10 oz. frozen spinach thawed & drained may be substituted if you prefer)
1 package (8 oz) tortellini from the pasta aisle (I like Barilla 3 cheese) or your favorite refrigerated tortellini
salt & pepper to taste (this will largely depend on if you have used homemade or purchased stock)
Parmesan cheese, for serving
Combine first 4 ingredients in slow cooker (chicken stock, tomatoes, garlic, and oregano).  Cook on high 4-6 hours, or low 6-8 hours. 

Approximately 30 minutes before serving, stir in spinach and tortellini.  Replace lid, turn slow cooker on high, and continue to cook 30-45 minutes or until ready to serve.  Salt & Pepper as necessary, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese right before serving.  Enjoy!

As a free bonus 'recipe' today, when we have soup, I often serve fruit as a dessert course.  The kids love it, and it's a great way to get a few extra nutrients in them in a fun way.  One of my favorites is 'snowy bananas', which is simply sliced up bananas with a bit of coconut flakes on top.  It's actually quite yummy, and a fun & healthy treat too.

No comments:

Post a Comment