Tuesday, January 10, 2012

"Anyday" French Toast


Becca here with my favorite "anyday" breakfasts.  This French Toast is quick and easy, and while it still seems like a treat to my kids, it's much healthier than the puffy, fried kind.  In fact, we don't even put maple syrup or anything on it, they just pick it up and eat it like this.  I usually double the recipe so we're sure to have enough to pop into the toaster the next day for an even quicker breakfast!  This is one of those recipes that I don't usually measure out (although I did this time to be able to give you specific instructions :), so if you're an egg short, or use a bit too much milk don't panic, it will turn out fine.  This is another great one for kids to help with, cracking the eggs or dropping the bread into the batter for you. I put one child in charge of dropping the bread into the bowl & flipping it over, while I am placing them onto the griddle.

"Anyday" French Toast

5 large eggs
1 cup milk (any kind is fine, I even used almond milk when we were dairy free)
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar (I prefer natural cane sugar, brown or white are fine substitutes)
1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
8 slices of bread
butter or coconut oil for the griddle, optional

If using a griddle, start heating at about 325. 

In a large bowl, beat eggs well.  (I use my manual egg beater I talked about here; a whisk would be fine too). 

Add other ingredients (milk, cinnamon, vanilla, and sugar) and stir well to combine.

Drop slices, one at a time, into bowl, then flip so that both slides are covered in batter.  Place onto griddle, greased with butter or coconut oil if desired, or large skillet over medium-high heat on the stove.

Let cook 3-4 minutes per side, or until starting to become golden brown, and will easily flip with a spatula.  Flip, and continue cooking until it is starting to brown also, and center is no longer soft.

Serve, and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This is so easy and so very good. I see why you don't need any syrup! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete