Wednesday, January 4, 2012
Jana here with a healthy recipe modified from a Weight Watchers cookbook. We love shrimp at our house, but you could use chicken in this if you preferred! This is a meal that is very tasty, and is a one dish meal once you mix the rice in!
4 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
4 minced garlic cloves
1 can stewed (or diced) tomatoes (28 oz)
2 cups okra (thawed if frozen)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 cups hot cooked brown rice
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and garlic. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes, stirring often.
2. Add tomatoes with their juice, okra, chili powder, oregano, and pepper. Simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes.
3. Stir together water and cornstarch in cup until smooth. Add to tomato mixture and cook, stirring, until tomato mixture bubbles and thickens, about 2 minutes.
4. Add shrimp and cook, stirring once or twice, for about 3 minutes.
5. Mix cooked rice into mixture and serve!