Friday, March 2, 2012

Mini Broccoli Bacon Quinoa Quiches


Becca here with a recipe I am SO super excited about!  When I saw this recipe for Mini Ham Cheese Quinoa Cups online recently, I knew they were something I had to try.  However, you know I can't just follow a recipe as written, and I actually ended up changing more than half of the ingredients from the original recipe, but the idea is still the same.  Best of all, they're super healthy, and my family loved them!  In case you aren't familiar with quinoa (it is pronounced keen-wah), it is sort of similiar to rice, gluten free, has a large amount of complete protein, amino acids, etc.  Basically a great food :)  My local small town store here carries it, although by planning ahead a bit and either ordering from amazon or buying from the bulk bins at Ozark Natural Foods, I can get it for less than half the price.  You cook it nearly identically to rice also; add water, bring to a boil, simmer until water is absorbed.  Super easy.  We ate these for breakfast, and the few leftovers we had reheated beautifully the next day.  I think I'll make a double batch next time even, my husband was looking for some to take in his lunch after we had eaten them all.  Oops!

Mini Broccoli Bacon Quinoa Quiches

3 cups cooked quinoa (about 1 cup uncooked)
4 eggs
1 1/2 cup finely chopped cooked broccoli
1 cup grated real parmesan cheese
1 cup cooked, diced bacon
1/4 cup dried diced minced onion (the kind in a canister on the spice aisle)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 350.  Add all ingredients into a large bowl, and stir well to combine. 

Spray mini muffin tins (regular muffin tins are fine also, just cook an extra 5 minutes or so) with nonstick spray.  Fill each cup with quinoa mixture, packing tightly.  Bake 15-20 minutes, or until edges and top are starting to get a light brown touch. 

Remove from the oven, and wait at least five minutes before removing from the muffin tin (to allow the eggs to set, the same way you would do a quiche before cutting into it so you'll have nice looking slices).  Serve and enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Please make more of these... A lot more... Guilt-free and awesome. I'll eat them at work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm sorry I left that out, I've added it in now, 1 cup is what I used. Thanks!! Hope you enjoy them, I've made them a couple of times since & my family loves them :) Becca

      Delete
  3. I've recently discovered quinoa and this looks like a GREAT recipe to try! Thanks so much...came from Kelly's Korner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You might find you get more comments if you turn off word verification. It was quite a booger to get my comment through the first time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the trouble, and thanks for letting us know! We had trouble with spam without the word verification, unfortunately :(

      Delete