Tuesday, May 29, 2012

'better for you' Creamed Spinach

Becca here with a much healthier version of one of my favorite foods, creamed spinach.  I love a local restaurant's creamy parmesan spinach, but you can literally see the fat pouring off of it, so I was excited to try this "Garlicky Creamed Spinach" from Clean Eating Magazine.  Of course, I made several modifications, but theirs was my inspiration.  My family liked the spinach, and my husband loved it.  This makes a very generous 6 servings, and you could serve 8 fairly easily (or have leftovers!) I think it would make a great, easy dish for company.  Enjoy!

1 bag, 16 ounces, cut leaf spinach
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 Tablespoons minced garlic
3-4 ounces Neufchatel (1/3 less fat) cream cheese
1/3 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
salt & pepper to taste

Cook spinach according to package directions.  Drain well in colander, pressing the spinach against the bottom & sides with a fork to remove as much water as possible.

In a large skillet, heat olive oil & garlic on medium heat until fragrant, stirring occasionally, about 1 minute.  Add neufchatel cheese & milk, lower heat a bit, and stir occasionally until the cheese has melted and the mix is a smooth sauce.  This should take 3-4 minutes, max, and you really don't want it to boil.

Gently stir in well-drained spinach, nutmeg, salt & pepper, and serve.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment