Thursday, June 7, 2012

Fresh Lemonade!

Becca here with a real treat!  After sharing a super refreshing cup of fresh squeezed lemonade on a visit to our local minor league baseball game, we decided to try making our own at home.  I used this recipe as our guide to make fresh squeezed lemonade by the glass, and we all loved the results.  It made a very cool, lightly sweet & refreshing drink.  Not at all thick & syrupy like Chick-fil-a, this was the perfect blend of sweet & tangy for me, and we've made it several times since.  It takes just a couple of minutes to make a glass, even with lots of help from the children & taking photos, we were sipping on a large glass in less than 5 minutes. 
This is a great recipe for the children to help with, with a bit of instruction they can complete it all by themselves.  And with the sugar dissolving, it's a great way to talk about chemical & physical changes to add a bit of real-life science in too!

Fresh-Squeezed Lemonade by the Glass

1 cup tap water
1 Tablespoon AND 1 teaspoon sugar (I like organic cane sugar, but white sugar is fine)
1 medium sized lemon (I get organic lemons 2 lbs/$2.99 at my local small town grocery store, Harps)
1 cup ice cubes

1) Pour water into large drinking glass and add sugar.  Stir until completely dissolved.

2) Juice lemons. After making these Clean Eating Lemon Bars a couple of times, I decided the $3.99 investment in a citrus juicer from my local Walmart was worth it, so that's what we used.  It even has a pour spout, and works fabulously, the kids can use it all by themselves, I wish I'd gotten one years ago. I always roll the lemon across the table several times too, to loosen up the inside before juice, a trick I saw on Food Network years ago, and is great for the kids to help with too :)

3) Measure out 3 Tablespoons of lemon juice, and add to your sugar/water mixture.  Add ice, let rest for a minute or two for it to cool down, and enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment