Monday, June 11, 2012

Fruit and Greek Yogurt Parfait

Sometimes instead of posting an elaborate recipe I like to post an idea that you can make your own! This is one of those posts. :)  Saturday mornings are a relaxed occasion around our house and we usually eat sausage, eggs, and some sort of bread.  Although it's nice to have a breakfast treat, we are tired of the same 'ol.  So I decided to make something healthier this weekend!
My husband and I love to order these parfaits at a restaurant.  However, I'm pretty sure they're made with sugary yogurt, and I'm not sure what kind of granola.

This is one of those foods that can be ordered and disguised as "healthy", even if it isn't. To change that, I used Greek Yogurt (which is fat-free!), kiwi, honey, and granola from the grocery store. Of course you could also make your own homemade granola which would be even tastier.

To make I simply scooped one small container of plain Greek yogurt into a bowl and mixed one tablespoon honey with it. I then put in a small glass, and layered the kiwi and granola on top.
You could easily use the flavored Greek yogurts for this, or even a different kind of fruit!
This would make a great breakfast, snack, or dessert!

*A quick note about granola-I usually buy the Special K granola, because of the extremely low fat content. However, last week at the grocery store I took a second to notice the ingredients.  I was surprised to see high-fructose corn syrup and a long list of other processed ingredients I wasn't comfortable eating. I ended up buying Sunbelt brand granola. Although higher in fat and calories, it is made from pure ingredients and the ingredient list much shorter!

Happy Eating!
Sara :)

No comments:

Post a Comment