Monday, July 9, 2012

Reader Share: Advice from your kitchen!

Ever feel like this when it comes to the kitchen and all things cooking related?
I know I sure have before.  :)
If you cook quite often (which I'm assuming you do, or you wouldn't be here!) then you already know the benefits of home-cooked food.  Especially food that isn't highly processed, and made from real ingredients. However, if we're being truthful, we all know the convenience and speed of a drive-thru!  So-here's what I want to know:
What are your fast and/or convenient tips and tricks for the kitchen? Do you have advice on kitchen prep that brings the convenience and speed of a drive-thru into your home, without the added calories and fat?

I'd love to hear from you! Please share your advice (however long or short!) in the comments below!

I'll start:
When making a dip or sauce I'll often prepare it in my Pyrex glass containers with lid, made for leftovers.  This means all I have to do after dinner is snap on the lid, not transfer the dip or sauce from one container to the next.

Also, if I have a lot of veggie chopping for dinner I'll often do that early in the day, when my little one is more likely to want to play independently. I store the veggies in a Ziploc bag, ready to use that night!

Can't wait to hear from you :)
Sara

3 comments:

  1. Usually we buy five pounds of onions at a time. Half of them are diced and frozen in zip lock bags. Speeds up most dishes I make buy taking a bag out of the freezer and using it instead of dicing an onion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tip! We eat onion just about every night so I need to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I buy one type of protien a week. I precook any portions that can be, and the rest I cut and prep the way I will need them. Protien seems to be my major obstical at meal time so having it dish ready makes cooking less intimidating. I just pull out of the freezer and put it in the fridge the night before. The other night we made chicken strips...The raw chicken was already cut into strips, so all I had to do was put it in the breading and cook it.

    ReplyDelete