Tuesday, October 23, 2012

100% Whole Grain Pumpkin Muffins



Becca here with a recipe for my family's favorite pumpkin muffins!  They not only taste amazing and rival any pumpkin muffin out there, but they also are whole grain, using 100% spelt flour, are sweetened with honey only, and use your choice of butter or coconut oil for an all-around healthy muffin!  I sometimes add mini chocolate chips for a special treat, or dried fresh cranberries coarsely chopped, but they are delicious either way!  My kids even love the muffins with any of the mix-ins.  I truly don't think you can find a better, more moist or delicious pumpkin muffin recipe, and it would be hard to beat them nutritionally also!  Spelt is the same flour that I use in our favorite whole grain chocolate chips cookie recipe I posted last week.  It has all the health benefits of 100% whole wheat, plus a few more!  It's lighter texture makes it great for recipes like this.  In my tiny Arkansas town, I do have to either drive an hour to the health food store or order it online (I use either Azure Standard, Vitacost, or Amazon for purchases like this) but I think it's well worth trying out, I can pretty much guarantee your family will love it!  I adapted the recipe found here. Enjoy!!

Whole Grain Pumpkin Muffins (makes 24)

3 cups spelt flour (either buy already ground, or mill yourself, finely)
2 Tablespoons pumpkin pie spice (I use a bit of nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, and ginger)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
1 cup honey
2/3 cup coconut oil OR melted butter (either is great, I usually use coconut oil)
2 cups pumpkin puree (or 1 can, 15 oz.)
1 cup mini chocolate chips OR 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped fresh cranberries OR 1 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 350.  Line muffin tins with liners and set aside (a great job for the kids!)  You'll need 24.

In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients - spelt flour, pumpkin pie spices, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.

Make a 'well' (hole) in the center of the flour mixture and drop the eggs, honey, and oil (either coconut oil or melted butter) into it.  Mix together until well combined.

Fold in pumpkin puree, and optional mini chocolate chips - don't overmix!

Fill lined muffin tins 2/3 of the way full, you should end up with a total of 24 muffins.  Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean, 18 - 20 minutes. 

Store in an airtight container at room temperature or freeze some for later! 

No comments:

Post a Comment