*We are having a giveaway on the Thrice the Spice Facebook page! Go "Like" us on Facebook to learn more!
I was going to give a disclaimer for how unhealthy these are (they definitely have quite a bit of sugar!), but then I remembered that they are a dessert, a treat, and that is ok sometimes! We had too many ripe bananas one day, and instead of making banana bread or banana muffins, I remembered banana bars! My Grandma makes a version of these, so I found a recipe on Betty Crocker's website that had great reviews, and made my own!
Classic Banana Bars
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup ripe bananas, mashed (I used 3 medium sized bananas)
1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
Cream Cheese Frosting
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9x13 baking dish by greasing bottom and sides. (I prefer using butter)
2. In large bowl, mix sugar, bananas, oil, and eggs. Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Spread in pan.
3. Bake bars 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool completely, for about 1 hour.
4. Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, mix cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until blended. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until smooth.
5. Spread frosting on cooled bars. Cut into bars, and enjoy!