Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Goulash - A Freezer Meal

This post is one rare exception where I don't have a picture to show you!  I decided this meal was way too good to not post though, so I am going to proceed as normal!  Before my third child was born, I wanted to get some extra meals in the freezer for our family to have after the baby was born.  My son was born several weeks ago, and the meals that I have had in the freezer have been such a blessing!  It has been nice to know that we have healthy and delicious meals already prepared!  All I have to do is set the meal out to thaw the night before, or morning of the day I'm wanting to have it for dinner.  Then I cook it in the oven for the required time before dinner, and that's it!  My sister, Sara, helped me one morning with the freezer meals. Even with our 3 small children playing around us while we cooked, we were able to prepare 8 freezer meals in under 2.5 hours!  So far, of the meals I have cooked, we have been able to eat them for at least 2 nights.  It is definitely worth the time and effort to prepare freezer meals!

I found the recipe for Goulash on this blog.  I followed their recipe fairly closely, and my whole family really loved it!  It would be great to make and eat the same night, or as a freezer meal. You could even double the recipe, so you could eat one for dinner and freeze the 2nd one!

Goulash

1 pound ground beef or turkey
1 can tomato soup
1 can tomato paste (6 ounces)
2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (I used whole wheat)
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1 can (15 ounces) corn, drained
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 cup shredded cheese

1. Brown ground meat, and season with garlic and onion powder.  Drain and set aside.

2. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

3. In a large bowl, combine tomato soup, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, corn, noodles, and meat.

4. Spoon mixture into an 8x8 baking dish. (if making for a freezer meal, I think using the foil pans is one of the easiest ways to go!)  Top with the shredded cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes, or until heated through.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment