Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Peaches & Cream Slow Cooker {steel cut} Oatmeal


Becca here with a recipe my family enjoyed as a nice change from 'regular' oatmeal that I normally fix.  I was inspired by this recipe and followed it pretty closely.  I used peaches that we picked & froze late this summer, but canned or frozen peaches would work well also.  The steel cut oats are something that I used to have to order, but can now find even at my small town grocery store.  They are significantly sturdier than the old fashioned oats you may be used to, so they hold up well in the slow cooker and give you quite a bit of wiggle room on the length of time the oatmeal cooks, even up to overnight.  I definitely wouldn't recommend old fashioned oats in the slow cooker, as they'd turn into a mush.  I have also doubled this recipe with success, and the leftovers heat up well!  Enjoy!

1 cup steel cut oats
2 cups bite-sized pieces of peaches, frozen or canned (drained, liquid reserved)
milk to bring the total liquid (counting liquid drained from peaches) up to 4 cups
a dash of salt
for serving, additional milk & sugar

Spray the inside of the slow cooker with cooking spray (I use an olive oil mister, and a 4 quart slow cooker).

Place steel cut oats and drained & diced peaches into slow cooker.

Add any drained peach juice, as well as milk to make a total of four cups of liquid, to slow cooker, along with a dash of salt, and stir well to combine.

Cook at least 3-4 hours on slow.  You can cook up to 8 hours, if you're preparing overnight for breakfast the next morning.

Serve with additional milk & a bit of sugar, if desired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment