Friday, March 8, 2013

Spinach & Mushroom Frittata



Jana here with one of my favorite recipes that I've made in a long time!  I had some ricotta that I needed to use, and I wanted a recipe that was different from an Italian pasta dish.  I went to All Recipes, where you can do a specific search.  I told the website that I wanted to include ricotta in my recipe, and didn't want pasta.  (this search is great to use up ingredients you have on hand, especially since you can have it exclude things you don't want!)  Frittata recipes started showing up, and they looked delicious!  I chose one, and made modifications to it.  This is a definite 10 on our rating scale!  (Does any one else rate their food?)  My two kids who are old enough to eat the same thing we do (ages 2 and 4) don't always get excited about cooked spinach in recipes.  After the first bite of this frittata, they both started raving about how much they loved it! 

Spinach & Mushroom Frittata

2 teaspoons olive oil
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
1 small onion, chopped (or 1 teaspoon minced onion)
1-2 teaspoons minced garlic
8-10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and all liquid squeezed out
5 eggs
4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional...the original recipe was meatless.  I also think ham or chicken would be a good addition)
1 cup part skim ricotta (or cottage cheese)
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (or romano)
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon rosemary
1/4 teaspoon thyme
salt and pepper

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Heat the olive oil in a medium sized skillet, and add mushrooms, onion, garlic, and spinach.  Saute for 5 minutes. 

2. Combine the eggs, bacon, ricotta, parmesan, and spices.  Add the sauteed mixture, and stir to combine everything.

3. Lightly grease a 9 inch pie pan, and pour mixture in.  Cook for 30-35 minutes, or until it appears to be set up.  Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment