Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Granola Cookies


Becca here with another great make ahead breakfast recipe.  I've previously shared recipes for my kids' favorite Breakfast Cookies and the Soft Oatmeal Bars that I prefer, and this is another great one to have in your repertoire of breakfasts ready to pull from the freezer and eat on those mornings you need something quick, or even on the go, inspired by a recipe in Clean Eating for Busy Families.  The texture is similar to a soft granola bar.  I'm sharing the recipe like I make it, but feel free to substitute your favorite dried fruit and nuts, just be sure and chop them into small pieces first. 

Granola Cookies

6 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
2 cup whole wheat flour (I use hard wheat I grind fresh)
4 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 large eggs
2/3 cup coconut oil, melted
2 cups packed brown sugar (not all brown sugar is made equal, see note below)
1/2 cup milk (I use almond milk)
4 teaspoons vanilla extract (I use homemade real vanilla)
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup raw sunflower seeds

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl, combine eggs, coconut oil, brown sugar, milk, and vanilla extract.  Whisk well to combine. 

Add in dry ingredients (oatmeal, flour, cinnamon, and baking soda) and just until moistened. 

Gently stir in cranberries & sunflower seeds.

Drop by 1/4 cup onto baking sheet (preferably lined with silicone baking mats or parchment paper, they'll stick a bit if not).  Pat gently to flatten.

Bake 14-16 minutes, or until edges are just starting to turn golden brown & the edges are set. 

Let cool completely, and stir in airtight container for a few days, or in the freezer a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment