Friday, October 4, 2013

"Moon Cake"

 

 
 

 

Jana here with a recipe that is a great learning activity for your children!  This is my first year to homeschool (my son turned 5 this summer), and we are using the My Father's World curriculum this year. When we had a unit on the moon, there was a recipe at the back that you could use to make a 'moon cake'.  My older two children (ages 5 and 3) love to help in the kitchen, so I knew this would be a great activity!  Not only did they love helping (it has you make 'craters' in the 'moon sand', make a small 'volcano', etc as you mix the ingredients), but the end result was super tasty as well! 

Moon Cake

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 cup milk
3/4 cup raisins (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9" round cake pan.

2. Mix 'moon sand' right in the pan. (flour, brown sugar, sugar, and salt)

3. Form 3 craters in the moon - one large, one medium, and one small.  Add oil to large crater, baking soda to medium crater, and vanilla to small crater.

4. Pour vinegar into the medium crater and watch it bubble like a volcano.  When the volcano stops, add 1 cup milk.  Mix everything together to form the moon's surface. 

5. Optional: Press 3/4 cup raisins ('moon rocks') into the batter.

6. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick in the center comes out clean.  When cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar ('moon dust')

5 comments:

  1. So cute! Do you like the curiculum? We are using A Beka for this year's Science. I'm curious to know your thoughts. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it for the most part! There are some parts that don't feel super challenging, but it has a lot of 'extra' suggestions you can add in that are hands on activities (such as this one!) that I really like!

      Delete
    2. Jana wrote the original post & commented above, this is Becca, I thought I'd add that we've used My Father's World "Adventures in US History" and also liked it for the most part!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the Curriculum link. I've worked for one company (too expensive for myself), worked with a different curriculum in a school setting, but still not made up my mind. This is pretty interesting looking stuff!

    ReplyDelete