Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Creamy & Tangy Coleslaw


Becca here with one of my spring & summer standby recipes.  It's one of those that I've been making for years & years, and can't believe I haven't posted yet.  I do have a different, freezer friendly coleslaw posted, and we like it fine, but this creamier one is my kids' absolute favorite.  I love it because cabbage is healthy and inexpensive, and lasts longer than a lot of other fresh veggies; and since I try to not go grocery shopping every week, and make it two weeks or so, this makes a perfect 'end of the shopping period' recipe.  This is similar in taste to KFC, and my kids literally always ask for seconds!  It's the classic American style coleslaw.  Enjoy! 

Creamy & Tangy Coleslaw

16 ounces coleslaw mix (without dressing; I get the 32 ounce green cabbage, red cabbage, and carrot mix from Sam's Club that's just $1.98!)
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup milk (any kind, I've used just about every variety of milk you can imagine; rice, almond, etc.)
2 Tablespoons vinegar
2 Tablespoons lemon juice

Mix dressing ingredients (everything except the coleslaw mix) in a small bowl, or tightly lidded container.  I like to use a pint canning jar and just shake it up!  Mix well to combine. 

Pour coleslaw mix into a large bowl; drizzle with dressing you just made, and gently stir to combine.  Serve immediately, or refrigerate until ready to serve. 

*Note:  Red cabbage will 'leak' color in the fridge, but it doesn't affect taste or texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment