Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Perfectly Peeled Fresh Boiled Eggs



Becca here with a "recipe" I'm so excited to have discovered, and share with you today! I actually had another post for today but decided this was more important, and switched things up at the last minute.  

So, boiled eggs are a staple at our house, as I'm sure they are at many of yours too.  It's a quick, protein packed, inexpensive, portable, healthy snack; what's not to love?!  My kids love egg salad and deviled eggs too, so we go through a lot of boiled eggs.  The one downfall can be peeling them without losing half of the egg to the peel, and it coming out looking like a mess.  My kids like to peel their own too, but sometimes the shell is just too "stuck" unless you have 'old' eggs.  Which I rarely do, since we go through so many eggs, and the appeal of trying to save 'old' eggs to eat cold isn't super appetizing either.  

We recently moved to several acres, so my family (with no previous experience, at all :) have been learning how to raise chickens for eggs.  The hard way sometimes, but we are learning, and hope to have some fresh eggs of our own by fall.  So it was while I was reading to learn on backyardchickens.com that I saw this tip for even very fresh eggs to peel perfectly, and it really does work! I even tested the "recipe" on eggs that were only a few days old (from a friend's chickens) and it worked perfectly; some of the easiest eggs I've ever peeled, even though they were super, super fresh!  Plus they come out perfectly cooked, not over done with that ugly green/gray color that sometimes happens with traditional boiling methods. I hope you'll give it a try (and let us know how it turns out!). Enjoy!

Perfectly Peeled Fresh Boiled Eggs

Eggs
Saucepan with steamer insert (this could be metal, or Asian style bamboo)
Water
Ice

Place a few inches of water into the bottom of your saucepan.  Cover with a lid, and bring to a boil.

Meanwhile, place eggs in a single layer on the bottom of your steamer insert.

When water is boiling, add steamer insert (with eggs!), replace lid, and boil for 20 minutes.  

When time is up, place eggs immediately into a bowl of ice water for several minutes.

Drain, and enjoy your perfectly peeled & cooked "boiled" eggs!


No comments:

Post a Comment