Monday, June 30, 2014

Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread


It's zucchini bread time of year, wahooo! Do you get as excited about this as I do?  Probably not.  But try this bread and you will, I can almost guarantee it!  We are already knee-deep in zucchini and I knew I wanted to make some delicious bread as a healthy alternative to having sweets in the house (I've almost gone a month without desserts!)  I started looking for a recipe to use and ended up adapting one to fit my needs.  Next time I plan on cutting out the sugar from the recipe completely and I still think it would be plenty sweet. 

Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread
Ingredients:
1 and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 egg
1/3 cup EVOO
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 TB plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup sugar *See note below*
2 TB honey
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup grated zucchini

Directions:
In true Sara fashion, I dumped all of the ingredients into the mixer together and turned it on a high speed for a minute or two.  Next I turned it down to a medium speed until everything was well blended.  I then poured the batter into a bread pan I'd previously sprayed and cooked it on 350 degrees for about an hour and 15 minutes.  At close to an hour I checked on the bread and stuck a knife in the middle to see if it was still doughy. It was, so I continued to bake past an hour until the middle was solid. 

This bread was SO, so good.  Like fantastic!  I put a note next to the sugar because although I used 1/4 a cup (the original recipe called for 3/4-yikes!) I really felt like the sugar could have been left out altogether, and a couple extra TB's of honey used instead.  

Enjoy! 
Sara 

No comments:

Post a Comment