Thursday, January 26, 2012

Cannellini Beans: Side and Snack!


Welcome to the wonderful world of beans. I have been learning more and more lately about how great beans are and how to prepare them in a tasty way! Recently I bought two cans of cannellini beans, which are white kidney beans.  I looked up a recipe for roasted cannellini beans and was so pleasantly surprised by this salty snack. If you're like me and love a good chip, but don't love the calories-you must try this! These roasted beans were the easiest, tastiest, and most crunchy snack I've tried yet that wasn't junk food or processed. My dear husband even loved them!
Roasted Cannellini Beans:
1 can cannellini beans, drained (14.5 oz)
2-3 tsp olive oil
Seasonings of your choice (I sprinkled on garlic powder and Tony C's, which is an all-purpose seasoning)
*Season according to taste! I probably put about 1 teaspoon garlic powder and 1-2 Tony C's.

Toss all ingredients together and roast in 425 degree oven for 10 minutes. Then turn the temp. down to 400 degrees and leave for another 25-30 minutes.
*These came out quite crunchy and were still a bit crunchy the next day. They were so popular around here I'd make more than one can though! The best part? These beans have no fat, and are high in protein and fiber! Also-they are low calorie! 
Another way we've eaten cannellini beans lately is as a side. For this "recipe" I simply cooked the beans on the stovetop and added some chopped white onion, dried rosemary, and garlic. Delicious and healthy!
Happy Eating-Sara :)

No comments:

Post a Comment