Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Dill Carrots

Becca here with a recipe I've made for years that's still my favorite way to eat carrots.  The kids all like them too, I make 1 1/2 pounds at a time now, and rarely have leftovers at all.  A little hint for when you're buying carrots, my tiny, small-town Walmart, carries organic carrots that are, at most, 0.10 more expensive than the regular carrots, so you might check your store and see if that's the case there.  This is another great recipe to involve the kids in cooking.  My two oldest (6 and 3 1/2) pretty quickly & efficiently peeled ours while I was getting the rest of dinner ready.  The Dollar Tree has vegetable peelers for $1 with nice large plastic handles with a grip on them that's easy for them to hang on to; a great investment in my book!  As a bonus, I've read several places lately that adding a bit of butter to your carrots helps your body process all of the antioxidants from the carrots because the beta-carotene is fat-soluble (meaning it needs fat to dissolve and be used by your body). 

Dill Carrots

1 1/2 pound carrots, peeled and sliced into about 1/2" thick slices
1 cup water
2 Tablespoons butter
1 Tablespoon pure cane sugar (white sugar may be substituted)
1 Tablespoon dill weed

Combine carrots, water, butter, and sugar (NOT dill weed yet!)

Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer until carrots are tender, about 10-15 minutes.  Most of the liquid will be absorbed.

Stir in dill weed and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment