Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Quinoa Tuna Cheese Muffins

Becca here with another original recipe that I am super excited about!  And yes, I know I say that often, but these really are just that great.  A long time ago, like nearly 11 years ago when Samuel & I were first married, I copied a recipe for tuna 'muffins' made with white rice down from a cookbook while we were house sitting for one of our college professors.  I've made a few changes to that original recipe over the years, including making a dairy free variation while one of my sons had a problem with dairy for a couple of years, but it's remained a family favorite.  So after the great success of the Mini Broccoli Bacon Quinoa Quiches I first made a few weeks ago, I started thinking about making a tuna/cheese variation, for a healthier, more updated version of the white rice ones.  So here's the result!  My family also ate all of these in no time; I think they taste just as good, or quite possibly even a teeny bit better, if that's possible, reheated the next day for a quick & easy lunch.  Here's my recipe for a large batch, enjoy!

Quinoa Tuna Cheese Muffins

6 cups cooked quinoa
5 cans tuna (6 oz. each), drained well
6 large eggs
1/4 cup dried minced onion (the dehydrated ones from the spice aisle)
2 teaspoons seasoning salt
1 - 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (our family favorite, regular cheddar is fine too :)

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl, stir all ingredients together & until evenly combined and mixed well.

Place mixture into well-greased mini-muffin tins; filling to the top, and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until starting to brown around the edges.  Let cool 5-10 minutes in the pan before trying to remove.  Enjoy!!

*I used a mini muffin pan, for a regular sized muffin tin cooking time will need to be increased by 5-10 minutes.  They should start to brown on the edges & the middle will be bubbly when they are done. 


I also wanted to with my "sweetheart" a happy 4th Birthday today too!!  I love you, Momma :)

No comments:

Post a Comment