Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Amazing Blueberry Muffins {gluten free}


Becca here with a recipe my family beyond loved.  These muffins are so amazing, I would definitely eat them even if they weren't healthy!  I first saw this recipe on pinterest for Strawberry Shortcake Muffins and decided to make a few changes & try them, mainly using blueberries & a few minor things.  Honestly, I was a bit skeptical, since the ingredient list is rather nontraditional for a muffin, but they have a great flavor & texture, you would never guess that there's no flour, butter, oil, or anything.  Seriously delicious.  The best part too is that they're so easy, my 2 oldest kids (6 1/2 & just turned 4) were able to do the batter almost entirely on their own.  I could go on and on about how you should try these today, but I'll get on to the recipe :)

Amazing Blueberry Muffins {gluten free}

2 1/2 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
1 cup plain Greek Yogurt (I use Fage Total 0%...it's my favorite, & I love Sam's Club carries the
                                           big tub now!)
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar (I use cane sugar, kind that isn't processed much, not bleached, etc.)
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups blueberries, divided (I used frozen since it's not blueberry pickin' time quite yet here :)

1) Preheat oven to 400 F.  Place either silicone or foil only (not the paper part too) into 18 muffin tin sections. *see note below 

2) Place all ingredients except bluberries into your blender (oatmeal, Greek Yogurt, eggs, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda) and blend until the mixture is smooth and batterlike.  (I just have a cheap blender from Walmart and it worked fine, although I did have to pulse & stir several times.)  Stir in 1 1/2 cup of the blueberries.  (Please note, don't 'blend' them in, just gently stir them into the batter with a spoon!)

3) Fill silicone or foil prepared muffin tins approximately 2/3 full with batter.  Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean & they're starting to turn golden brown around the edges.  Remove the muffins in their liner from the pan and let cool for about 10 minutes for easiest removal from the liner.  Enjoy!

**A quick note about the muffin liners - I used silicone because that's what I had.  I bought them at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon years ago.  I didn't grease them or anything, and the ones we let cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the liner came out perfectly with virtually no sticking, as you can see above.  I just went around the edges loosening it a bit, and then inverted the liner, kind of flipping the muffin out.  I kept the liners turned inside out to clean them; a quick brush with the dish brush & a trip through the top of the dishwasher & they were good as new & ready to go again.  Good thing, since the kids & I nearly finished a whole batch in one day, ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment