Thursday, July 12, 2012

grilled corn on the cob


Becca here with my favorite way to fix corn on the cob!  My kids all think it's quite a treat to eat it off of the cob, and the corn this year has been great!  I know that you can grill it in the husk, but you have to pull it back first, remove the corn silk, soak the husks, rewrap, definitely more time and effort than I care to devote to a side dish for dinner, so I've figured out a much shorter way to still get the same great grilled taste.  I often have the kids husk the corn, and I get it all ready in the afternoon or while I'm fixing lunch if I have a few minutes to spare, so when it's dinner time all I have to do is throw the prepared packs onto the grill.  It doesn't get much better than that!  Don't let the onions scare you if you don't normally like them, they're mainly there to add flavor, moisture, and keep the corn from sticking to the foil.  You can leave them out, but will need to turn the corn more often and watch it more carefully to ensure it doesn't burn.

grilled corn on the cob

6 ears of corn on the cob, husk and corn silk free (a great job for kids!)
1 medium onion, sliced into rings
3 Tablespoons butter
salt & pepper to taste
foil

On a large square of heavy duty foil, place enough enough rings of onion for 2 ears of corn to stand on, placing them opposite each other so they fit together well.  Add a tablespoon of butter, and wrap up tightly to seal.  Repeat, until all 6 ears are wrapped up in groups of two, on an onion base, with a pat of butter on top.  Grill on a medium high heat for approximately 30 minutes, or until corn is bright, plump, and tender.  Enjoy! 





No comments:

Post a Comment