Thursday, July 5, 2012

Pesto Pasta with Green Beans


Becca here with a recipe that my family loved, and takes no longer than takout or a boxed meal from the grocery store would!  Prepare some fruit while this cooks, and you can have a great healthy meal on the table in under 20 minutes, easily!  My parents kindly gave us a big bag of green beans from their garden, which I used part of to make this all in one pan meal.  Feel free to substitute frozen green beans (or even peas, as my husband mentioned thought would be good) if it isn't garden time.  This makes a large batch, my family of 5 was able to eat it twice, which is always a bonus in my book!  I loved that my daughter had company that I wasn't even sure would like the meal, and she even asked for seconds.  The flavor is really good and fresh, I even ate some the next day cold, like pasta salad!  We ate this as a main dish, but it would also make a great side dish for a barbeque or potluck.  Enjoy!

Pesto Pasta with Green Beans

1 pound your favorite rotini (whole wheat, gluten free, etc. any is fine!)
1 pound fresh green beans, snapped (or frozen green beans, or peas)
1 cup plain Greek Yogurt
1/2 cup pesto (the store has several prepared varieties near the spaghetti sauce, or homemade)
salt & pepper to taste (I would add this last, it will depend on the type of noodles/pesto you use!)

Bring a large pot of water to boil.  Add rotini and green beans, and cook for time designated on rotini package (7 - 10 minutes usually).  When it is finished, drain, and return to saucepan.  Immediately stir in Greek Yogurt and pesto, and gently stir to spread throughout.  Taste, add salt and pepper if necessary, and serve!  Enjoy!

2 comments: