Thursday, October 18, 2012

Sweet Homemade Cornbread



Becca here with our family favorite recipe for cornbread!  I know that there are opposing views out there, my family is from the camp that likes a bit of sweet in our cornbread, and think this recipe has the perfect touch of sweetness.  My 'secret' for making good cornbread actually can even be found on the back of a box of cornbread mix that you buy from the grocery store, although it took me several years before I actually heeded the advice - letting the mixture sit for a few minutes before adding it to the pan and baking, allowing the cornmeal to soak, will produce a better cornbread.  At least five minutes is better than nothing, but I try and plan ahead enough to let it soak for twenty minutes or so before baking.  I grind organic popcorn and wheat berries in my Nutrimill for this recipe, but you can also use flour from the store.  I'd recommend a 'stone ground' coarser grind of cornmeal.  I know in my area War Eagle Mill & Bob's Red Mill are available. I hope you'll try this, it is one of our favorite meals on a cool night with a pot of beans & ham, my daughter even says one of her favorite meals in the world.  Enjoy!!

1 cup flour (I use hard spring wheat berries I've milled, but your favorite flour is fine!)
1 cup yellow cornmeal (I use organic popcorn I've milled, but your favorite cornmeal is fine.  I'd recommend stone-ground!)
1/3 cup sugar (I use organic evaporated cane juice)
1/3 cup brown sugar (I use C&H dark brown sugar, because it's all cane sugar, no after products or coloring added)
1 teaspoon salt (I use Real Salt, your favorite kind is fine.)
4 teaspoons baking powder (aluminum free is best)
1 large egg
1 cup milk (if you're using a coarser grind flour, or milling it yourself, I'd add an extra 1/4 cup)
5 Tablespoons melted butter (or coconut oil)

Preheat oven to 400.  Grease a 9" round cake pan.  I use this spreadable butter/olive oil mixture I keep in the fridge instead of shortening or margarine.

In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients - flour, cornmeal, sugar, brown sugar, salt, and baking powder. 

Stir in egg, milk, and vegetable oil until well combined.  If time allows, let batter rest for 5-20 minutes.  If not, proceed.

Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.

This recipe was my inspiration.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking up your recipe for the Old Fashioned Recipe Exchange, it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete