Friday, December 21, 2012
Shepherd's Pie - Lightened Up!
Jana here with a recipe that tastes like comfort food, without all of the calories! One of my favorite meals that my Mom made growing up was Shepherd's Pie! When I saw this recipe on Skinny Taste, I knew I wanted to make it soon! At only 290 calories a serving (and the serving size is generous!), this is a must make recipe!
Shepherd's Pie - Lightened Up
1 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled, diced
3/4 cup fat free chicken broth
2 tablespoons fat free sour cream
salt and pepper
1 lb lean ground meat (beef or turkey)
1-2 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
10 ounces frozen vegetables (carrots, peas, green beans, corn)
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup fat free beef broth
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon thyme
salt and pepper
1. Boil potatoes in water until cooked and soft. Drain and mash with chicken broth, sour cream, and salt and pepper.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. In a large skillet, brown meat. Season with salt and pepper. When cooked, set aside on a plate. Discard any fat in the pan, and add oil, onion, and garlic. Saute on medium heat for about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and saute another 3-4 minutes. Add flour, salt and pepper, and mix well.
4. Add frozen vegetables, beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, cooked meat, and mix well. Simmer on low for 10-15 minutes.
5. Spread the meat/veggie mixture in the bottom of a baking dish. (9x13 will work great!) Top with mashed potatoes, and sprinkle with paprika.
6. Bake for 20 minutes, or until potatoes turn golden.