Thursday, December 20, 2012

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Raspberry Balsamic and Cranberries


Becca here with a recipe that I was inspired to try after watching 'The Pioneer Woman' on Food Network online make a similar dish.  One of the first recipes I posted on this blog was what my children affectionately refer to as "turtle shells" aka roasted Brussels Sprouts, and they're a family favorite.  In fact, true story, just this week when I bought a big bag at Sam's Club (2 pounds, that my family of 5, soon to be 6, can easily eat in one sitting!), my 4 year old son was hugging it and saying how excited he was.  While I wouldn't say that the kids are picky eaters anyway, roasted Brussels sprouts really are THAT good!  The addition of raspberry balsamic sauce and dried cranberries make an already yummy dish a bit fancier even, and can add some good Christmas color to your table too!  The sauce is super easy, and the way I modified the recipe takes the same amount of cooking time as the Brussels Sprouts, so it's really not even any more difficult.  My daughter & I preferred the Brussels Sprouts with the sauce, my 4 year old son didn't want to mess up an already good thing and chose to not try the sauce, but devoured the roasted Brussels sprouts & dried cranberries, and, in typical unpredictable two-year-old fashion, my youngest son decided to just try one 'turtle shell' and move on, although typically he does eat his fair share also.  I hope you'll give this recipe a try!  My recipe listed below is per pound of Brussels Sprouts, so you can do some simple, quick math, and easily make as many Brussels Sprouts as you need to feed your family.  Enjoy!

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Raspberry Balsamic and Cranberries

1 pound fresh Brussels Sprouts, cut into halves length ways (like 'turtle shells')
olive oil, preferably in a mister
salt & pepper

1/2 cup raspberry balsamic vinegar (plain balsamic would be fine, but I'd highly recommend trying the raspberry!)
1/4 cup sugar (I use organic Demerara Sugar)
1/2 cup dried cranberries (like craisins)

Preheat oven to 450.
Place cut Brussels Sprouts onto large baking pan, and either spray generously or drizzle with olive oil.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Bake for 10 minutes. 
Meanwhile, combine rasberry balsamic vinegar and sugar in small saucepan.  Heat to boiling, reduce heat, and let simmer and reduce until brussel sprouts are finished baking, stirring occasionally.
Remove brussel sprouts from oven and use a wide spatula to turn them over.  Return to the oven for another 5-10 minutes, or until they are nicely roasted, beginning to have dark brown spots & edges, as seen above.  The total time should be 20 minutes or less, but will depend on the size of your brussels sprouts, amount of moisture in them, and type of baking pan you're using.  Just keep an eye on them, you'll know when they're done.  Then, add brussels sprouts to serving dish; drizzle with raspberry balsamic reduction and top with dried cranberries.  Serve immediately.  Enjoy!

1 comment: