Monday, February 18, 2013

Easy Chicken Salad

Hi everyone!  As I've mentioned on the blog before, we love salads at our house!  Not the lettuce, tomato, carrot salad though.  That would last me about 30 minutes.  We like our salads to be complete as a meal so today I thought I'd share a favorite way we've been eating salad lately and some general tips for preparing something that is tasty, healthy, and filling!

First, I start with a pre-mixed bag of greens.  I buy mine at Wal-Mart, but an even better (more obvious) choice would be to use what you have in your garden.  With spring approaching, don't forget about planting plenty of lettuce, which is also great in a green smoothie.

Next, I like to add as many veggies as possible.  This can include: carrots, cucumber, broccoli, corn, green bell pepper, onion, peppers, peas, etc.  The possibilities are endless!

I also like to add avocado, which I believe are a fruit. :)

Also, another great salad tip is to make sure and include protein!  For this particular salad we had chicken on top, seasoned with an all-purpose Tuscan seasoning and then baked in the oven at 375 degrees.  We've also been enjoying pecans crushed on our salad, but almonds are just as tasty.

Last-top it off with a dressing!  The creamier dressings will include more fat but you can always go with balsamic vinegar and olive oil for a healthier choice.

I hope you start enjoying salads for a healthy dinner choice!  My 19-month old loves salad night too. :)

Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment