Thursday, February 28, 2013

Roasted Tomato Soup




Becca here with a guest post today that I'm so excited about!  My friend Mindy kept posting pictures on Facebook of this Roasted Tomato Soup that looked SO delicious, I asked her if she would mind sharing the recipe with us today, and was excited when she agreed to! 
 
Mindy, friend of Becca here.  I used to joke that my mom's idea of cooking was dialing Pizza Hut, but there is truth in that.  I was 23 before I knew what garlic was, and I literally thought adding meat to hamburger helper was cooking "from scratch" (gasp!).  Fast forward a few years, and I'm pleased to say I've figured out REAL food doesn't come in a packaged box, and garlic and I have become fast friends.  In fact, this is one of my favorite recipes with garlic.  When you roast garlic, it gets this robust, almost creamy nutty flavor.   When you roast tomatoes, they take on a rich, sweeter flavor.  Add the two together...pure yumminess!!  It took a few tries to perfect this recipe, inspiration from here, but I think I've finally got it--my 4 year old ate 4 bowls of it (which is high praise, coming from her!).  Add some cheese on top if you'd like (we use a Mexican blend), or serve with a grilled cheese sandwich! It makes 2 meals for us for less than $10, and with Becca's freezer tips she posted on Jan. 24th, I'm looking forward to making double and freezing it next time for those busy days!  Enjoy!!

Roasted Tomato Soup

Ingredients:

 
3.5 – 4lbs tomatoes
7 (unpeeled) garlic cloves
Olive oil
Salt
2 Tbs. unsalted butter
1 onion, chopped
2 Tbs. sugar
1.5 tsp. dried oregano (or ¾ tsp. if you only have ground oregano)
¼ tsp. pepper
3 cups chicken broth
½ cup cream

Cheese for topping, if desired

1)  Cut the tomatoes in half, and arrange them on a baking sheet with the unpeeled garlic.  Drizzle generously with olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt.  Roast them for an hour in a 350 oven, then let them cool while you do the next step.

2) Melt 2T butter over in
a pot over medium heat, then add onions and cook until tender or translucent—about 4-5 minutes.  Add sugar, oregano and pepper and cook 1-2 more minutes.  Unpeel the garlic, then add garlic, tomatoes and chicken broth to the onion mixture.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 45 minutes and let the flavors meld for a bit.  The longer it sits, the more time the flavors get to mingle.  Mingling is good J 

3) Take the contents of the pot and pour into a blender or juicer, or use an immersion blender to puree.  I pour mine into our Vitamix (those things are fantastic!) and it pulverizes all the seeds and skin. If your device does not puree things like that, then when you’re done blending, pour the mixture through a strainer to remove extra bits of skin or seeds.   

4) Once the tomatoes are pureed, pour into the pot over medium low, and add ½ cup of cream, and stir until heated through (do not let it boil), then serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment