here, and followed it fairly closely. We will definitely be eating this again! (I never post something if it's not 'definitely make again' status!)
"Skinny" Tuna Noodle Casserole
6 ounces 'no yolk' noodles
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon dried, minced onion
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
3 tablespoons flour
1 3/4 cup fat free chicken broth
1 cup 1% milk
8-10 ounces sliced mushrooms
1 cup frozen peas (thawed)
salt and pepper
2 (5 ounce) cans tuna in water, drained
4 ounces reduced fat cheddar cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons bread crumbs
1. Boil noodles according to package directions. Cook them about 2 minutes less than called for, so they will remain firm even after baking.
2. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium low heat. Add the onion and garlic, cooking for 1-2 minutes. Add the flour slowly, stirring constantly.
3. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish.
4. Slowly add the chicken broth, whisking or stirring constantly. Add the milk, increase the heat, and bring to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, add the mushrooms and peas. Simmer on medium for 6-7 minutes, or until it is beginning to thicken. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the two cans of tuna, stirring to mix well.
5. Reduce from heat, and add the shredded cheese, stirring until melted and combined. Stir in the cooked noodles. Pour mixture into the baking dish. Top with Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until bubbling. Broil on high heat for a very short time to brown the bread crumbs. (watch this VERY carefully so you do not burn the food)