Wednesday, April 24, 2013

100% Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes



Becca here with a recipe my family really enjoys! I doubled this recipe to ensure that we had extras for the next day.  I love making extra pancakes so the kids or I can just pop into the toaster in the morning to reheat for a quick & healthy breakfast.  I store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.  If it's going to be longer than that before they're eaten, I freeze them until we're ready to use the pancakes.  Enjoy!

100% Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes

4 cups whole wheat flour (I use hard spring wheat I ground in my Nutrimill, your favorite whole wheat flour is fine)
4 teaspoons baking powder (aluminum free is best)
3 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt (I use Real Salt)
2 Tablespoons honey
4 large eggs
3 1/2 cups milk (I use whole milk, but your family's favorite should be fine)
4 Tablespoons coconut oil or melted butter, plus a little extra for the griddle (I've used both, and they either works great!)
4 large ripe bananas, mashed
100% pure maple syrup or honey for serving, optional

In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Make a well (hole) in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the wet ingredients - honey, eggs, milk, and melted butter. 

Stir all ingredients together thoroughly, but don't over mix. 

Gently fold in the mashed bananas.

Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to pour pancakes onto a griddle or large skillet over medium-high heat (I heat my griddle to 325).  Flip when the edges are beginning to turn golden brown, and there are bubbles throughout the pancakes. 

Serve with maple syrup or honey if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment