Wednesday, May 1, 2013

100% Whole Wheat Coffee Cake



Becca here with a really yummy coffee cake that is super moist, and a great balance of sweetness - just enough, but not sickening sweet like some desserts can be.  Plus, I use 100% whole wheat, so that means it's "healthy" and guilt-free, right?  All of my kids have always liked to help in the kitchen, and I try to let them when it's at all feasible (although now that there 4 of them 7 and under they have to take turns and have their day to help since I can't quite handle THAT much "help" in the kitchen at one time :).  My oldest daughter has been wanting to do things in the kitchen more on her own, and brought me the recipe that we based this on out of an American Girl cookbook she had "Molly's Cooking Studio."  The original recipe used several things I don't buy, including shortening and white flour, so we had a great conversation about how to easily modify recipes to make them 'better'.  Their instructions were supposed to be thorough for a beginner, but we found them a bit tedious and rewrote those as well to simplify the process (and not get 3 bowls plus the baking pan dirty!)  This classic coffee cake would make a great brunch, tea time, or dessert.  Enjoy!

100% Whole Wheat Coffee Cake

cake:
3 Tablespoons butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
2/3 cup milk
1 1/2 cups flour (I use 100% whole wheat, hard spring wheat that I mill)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

topping:
1 Tablespoon butter, melted
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 425.

In a large mixing bowl (I use our electric mixer), combine 3 Tablespoons of butter and 1/3 cup brown sugar and beat until soft and fluffy.  Add the egg and milk, and beat until thoroughly combined.

Add the remaining dry cake ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt), and stir just until combined; don't over stir!

Pour the mixture into a greased 8x8 square baking pan.

Combine topping ingredients (melted butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon) in a bowl and mix to combine.

Sprinkle the topping mixture evenly over the top of the cake.

Bake at 425 for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.  Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. Oh! This looks delicious! I am barely on the basics of learning about grinding your own flour, benefits of the whole weat grain and much more things i didnt know before. I atill use flour for coating chicken and makin pancakes but whole weat grinded flour is such an inspiration to me. :)

    Marlene bragger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to make tomorrow but will soak flour tonight in the milk and a little lemon juice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sooooo good! Shared with a friend with coffee and she loved it too. By the way I live at 5400 feet altitude and I did not need to alter ingredients. :)

      Delete