Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Cool Overnight Oatmeal



Becca here with a recipe that's a perfect start for these days that are starting to be warmer.  It's been well documented here on the blog that I notice my children and I have a better start to the day with a good, hearty & nutritious breakfast, but I'm not naturally a "morning person," And with four little ones that usually all need help with something first thing in the morning, diapers to change, etc. plus the chickens, rabbit, cat, and dog that all need fed also, getting a good breakfast for five on the table (before 9:00 anyway :) can be a bit of a challenge.  I had actually seen a similar recipe to this overnight oatmeal in a magazine and thought I saved it, but then we moved, and I hadn't been able to find it, so I was super excited when my friend Analucia brought me a recipe she'd picked up at Whole Foods and thought I'd like it, for overnight oatmeal!  It literally takes minutes to mix up the night before, and would be perfect for a child to help with (or do on their own)!  The end result the next morning is super creamy, and has tons of possibilities for flavor, varying the type of dried fruit, or even leaving it out entirely to top with the fresh fruit that will be available soon!  The first time we had it my kids weren't sure about having 'cold oatmeal' but the second time they were expecting it, and enjoyed it even more!  My adaptation of the recipe will serve my four kids (with big appetites especially now that we live on lots of land!) and I twice.  My personal favorite combination is to use dried mango, and unsweetened, dried coconut!  Enjoy!


Cool Overnight Oatmeal


4 cups old fashioned oatmeal (not quick oats!)
4 cups milk (I normally use coconut or almond milk)
1/2 cup chopped, dried fruit (or leave out, and top with fresh fruit just before serving!)
1/2 cup chopped nuts or unsweetened, dried coconut


In a large bowl with a lid, stir well to combine all ingredients.  Cover, and refrigerate overnight.  May be served cool (our preference!) or warmed.





No comments:

Post a Comment