Thursday, December 1, 2011

Terrific Tiramisu

 For our family Thanksgiving meal I decided to make Tiramisu for dessert. I was rather intimidated by such a fancy dessert, but love a kitchen challenge. This didn't turn out like the pretty picture on the website but my tastebuds (and Brett's) didn't mind one bit!  Hello espresso and creamy sweet filling sandwiched between ladyfingers!
 The recipe needed a double broiler, which I didn't have. A quick fix was putting a metal mixing bowl on top of a simmering pot of water.  It worked! The key is to not let the water below boil so vigorously that it's getting the metal bowl soaking wet. You only want the steam from the water to heat up the bowl above.
All Recipes is the site I used for the recipe! Awesome cooking site! I mainly like it because of the reviews from other cooks like myself.
Classic Tiramisu

Ingredients

  • 6 egg yolks
  • 1 1/4 cups white sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups mascarpone cheese
  • 1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
  • 2 (12 ounce) packages ladyfingers
  • 1/3 cup coffee flavored liqueur
  •  
  • 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
  • 1 (1 ounce) square semisweet chocolate

Directions

  1. Combine egg yolks and sugar in the top of a double boiler, over boiling water. Reduce heat to low, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and whip yolks until thick and lemon colored.
  2. Add mascarpone to whipped yolks. Beat until combined. In a separate bowl, whip cream to stiff peaks. Gently fold into yolk mixture and set aside.
  3. Split the lady fingers in half, and line the bottom and sides of a large glass bowl. Brush with coffee liqueur. Spoon half of the cream filling over the lady fingers. Repeat ladyfingers, coffee liqueur and filling layers. Garnish with cocoa and chocolate curls. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
  4. To make the chocolate curls, use a vegetable peeler and run it down the edge of the chocolate bar.

Nutritional Information open nutritional information

Amount Per Serving  Calories: 568 | Total Fat: 31.8g | Cholesterol: 303mg Powered by ESHA Nutrient Database

*Because I knew my hubby and I were the only ones eating this, I halved the ingredients. You can easily do this on the allrecipes.com site by typing in the selected serving size you would like. Keep in mind the cooking directions will remain the same for the original serving size.  This made a LOT, even with the recipe halved and we ate it for a treat several days. I used the same amount of ladyfingers they mentioned for the full recipe, but half of the other ingredients.
*I also just mixed some very, very strong instant coffee, instead of using the coffee flavored liqueur.
*I didn't garnish with cocoa or shaved chocolate pieces, although I'm sure that would have looked lovely! The flavor was divine without!
*Instead of using mascarpone cheese, I mixed 8 oz. cream cheese, two tablespoons of sour cream, and a bit of heavy cream. I had plenty leftover and am not sure what to do with it now. I reccomend making less than I did.
*Lastly, I tried to "whip" the heavy whipping cream into stiff peaks and it didn't work! I would recommend trying using a mixer, or just settling for it "unwhipped" like I did, which still tasted fabulous, but maybe didn't look as fancy.
Enjoy! -Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment