This will be a favorite soup in our house, for sure! We had this with bread one night, and cheese sandwiches another. We ate the soup with the Greek Yogurt and olives the first night, and just plain left-over night. BOTH were delicious! ! My meat-loving husband even loved it. :)
This was so filling if you are trying to lose weight I think you could easily be filled up with just this, or you might even have some raw veggies and dip on the side too.
Greek-Style Lentil Soup with Crispy Olives
- 1/2 pound brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4" pieces
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium rib celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 3/4 cup tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped green olives
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons plain low-fat or fat-free yogurt
- COMBINE the lentils, water, garlic, carrots, onions, celery, thyme, pepper, oregano, and rosemary in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. Stir in the tomato puree, salt, and cinnamon. Simmer for 20 minutes to blend the flavors.
- WHILE the soup cooks, preheat the oven to 400Â°F. Blot the olives with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. Place in a small bowl and sprinkle with the cornstarch, tossing gently to cover evenly. Place on a piece of heavy-duty foil or a small baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 10 minutes.
TOP each bowl of soup with 1 tablespoon yogurt and 2 teaspoons olives.