Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Whole Wheat Banana Flax Seed Bread (or muffins)

Becca here with one of my old standby recipes that we love!  I've been making this whole wheat banana flax seed bread since my oldest child was a newborn, nearly seven years ago.  I tried to find the original source for my recipe, but since it was from a blog in 2006, I was unsuccessful.  I did find out that apparently either "flax seed" or "flaxseed" both are considered correct, so now you've had your spelling lesson for the day too!  Anyway, this recipe is one of my family's favorites; I've actually never had it turn out poorly, and the bread is very moist throughout, not dry & crumbly at all.  I'm sure you've heard the health benefits of flax, it has good amounts of omega-3's, fiber, and antioxidants.  I make this in either bread or muffins; the kids think muffins are fun, but if I'm making extra to freeze, as I did this time, I think loaves do better in the freezer.  You can stir in a cup of chopped nuts if that's something your family would enjoy.

Whole Wheat Banana Flax Seed Bread

1/2 cup ground flax seed
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
3 cups ripe, mashed bananas (about 6 bananas)
4 Tablespoons canola oil
1 cup milk (almond or coconut is fine)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla
Stir dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
Stir in egg, canola oil, and milk just until blended.  Fold in bananas.
Fill 2 well-greased loaf pans.  Bake at 400 for 30-45 minutes, or until top is browning & toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment