Tuesday, June 26, 2012

4th of July Flag Toast!

Becca here with another cute way to celebrate the 4th of July, artificial dye-free!; check out my "Celebrate America" Red, White, & Blue post for another great idea also.  This makes a great healthy breakfast too, using ingredients that you likely have on hand already, and turns out so cute, my kids love it!  And what a great way for them to help make their breakfast too, while learning about the features of the American Flag.  Afterall, what's not to love about the American Flag?!  I've made this 'recipe' for a few years now, and I'm sorry that I can't remember or find where I got the original idea to give them credit.

American Flag Toast (Makes 3)

3 slices whole wheat bread
1 medium banana
1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup strawberry jam (I use homemade no sugar added freezer jam, any kind is fine, but if you're concerned about food dyes be sure & check the labels, as many of the jams do use them)

Toast bread.  Meanwhile, slice banana into half lengthwise; stick the halves back together so you only have to slice one, and slice widthwise, to make the shapes for the stripes. Spread toast evenly with strawberry jam, and top with fruit, as shown.  Serve immediately.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment